LPO Junior Artists: Overture projects are free, immersive orchestral days for 11-14-year-old instrumentalists, taking a hands-on, behind-the-scenes look at the world of a professional orchestra.
Come behind the scenes with us
Fancy playing alongside LPO players and members of our Junior Artists and Foyle Future Firsts schemes? If you’re a young orchestral player, this is your chance to join the London Philharmonic Orchestra family for a day. You’ll meet some of our musicians, play as an ensemble and find out just what it takes to be part of one of the greatest orchestras in the world – for free!
What to expect
- Enter the unique world of a professional orchestra
- Discover and play music as an ensemble and in sectionals with LPO musicians, Foyle Future Firsts and LPO Junior Artists (our programme for talented musicians from under-represented backgrounds)
- Hear from our LPO musicians about their own musical journeys and pick up tips for your own playing
Who can take part?
If you’re aged 11-14 and play an orchestral instrument at Grade 4+ standard, you are welcome to apply to our Overture days in London. Our Eastbourne Overture days are open to young musicians aged 10-15 and Grade 3+ standard on an orchestral instrument. In both locations, we prioritise applications from young people from backgrounds currently under-represented in professional UK orchestras.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch at [email protected].
When is the next LPO Junior Artists: Overture day?
- Our next London Overture day will take place on Sunday 17 March 2024, as part of the Classical Vauxhall festival 2024
- Our next Eastbourne Overture day will take place on Sunday 14 April 2024
Applications for our next Overture days will open in early 2024.
If you would like to be added to our mailing list to be the first to hear when applications open, you can get in touch with us at:
What participants say
There was a really friendly, supportive and inspiring atmosphere!
Overture participant 2023
The highlight for me was talking to a Foyle Future First that played the same instrument as me, and playing together!
Overture participant, 2021/22
I learnt what life is like as a professional musician – it’s hard work and exciting!
Overture participant 2018/19
The LPO Junior Artists: Overture day on 17 March 2024 is part of the Classical Vauxhall festival. LPO Junior Artists: Overture is generously funded by the Kirby Laing Foundation, TIOC Foundation and The Radcliffe Trust.